Thursday, June 21, 2012

TEAM AMERICA WINS AGAIN!


I have a new friend!!!! Her name is Nikki, and she’s an English speaking American who understands that PR is a US territory, plays hide and seek AND speaks Gujarati!           She is everything that is right in India. We’re pretty much bff’s…I’m not sure if she knows that though…she’s a senior in high school and from Chicago. When she got here we went on a tour of the commune then we ended up playing cricket and hide and go seek with the boys for a while. She doesn’t really sweat though…and I’m super jealous about that. I’m trying to convince her to apply to UNC #goheels #goamerica

Things I don’t understand: long sleeved shirts in this heat. So apparently Wednesday is casual (forgot about Friday they said), so the kids are rocking their gear, some are in jeans, others in their traditional indian gear, but still…some…were in long sleeves…like what the heck? It’s literally 106 degrees here everyday (at the minimum) and on the one day these kids can wear literally whatever they want they choose to wear long hot sleeves. I don’t get it. I think my issue is I don’t particularly care for sweating, I think it’s gross…it leaves you sticky and weird looking, feeling, and smelling and I honestly just don’t have time for it. I chose the wrong country apparently. I just cant comprehend these sleeves, I mean even ¾ length would have been better, but no lie, half the kids were in long sleeved shirts, I mean why didn’t they just put on turtlenecks and be done with it?

Ok so as I was sitting still and sweating last night while doing my homework…yes I said homework. My Gujarati languages teacher assigned me homework. If I wanted to take a summer class I wouldn’t have come all the way to India to do it! I would have stayed right in good ole Chapel Hill.

That SUPER AWKWAD moment when you YELL heads up during a game of Frisbee with deaf kids…whoops…well we hit a couple kids in the head with  a Frisbee, but really what could we do? Mélanie taught the kids how to toss and catch the Frisbee today and I would like to say that it was a win.

Things I am doing when get back to my beautiful country: writing a letter to the President demanding (yes demanding) that they teach English in ALL US territories (because this language thing is no joke, we are riding the struggle bus something serious to understand each other), AND I’m suing McDonalds India for false advertising. I’ve never wanted anything more than I wanted the ice that was supposed to come with my coke (I know it was supposed to come with it because it showed in the pictures, that clearly stated “come inside”, which led me to believe that if I went inside I would have ice and a coke) WRONG: all I had was coke. my feelings were sooo hurt.

Writing on the festival tomorrow,

Leigh
 


4 comments:

  1. Long sleeve shirts protect you from the sun, the mosquito's and believe it or not, keep you cooler in hot weather....I know it sounds crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Many believe and feel that long sleeves keep you cooler. They block the sun and absorb sweat. I don't think you believe that. Could not you ask for ice? I'm glad that you are well. This is a phenomenal experience.

    Love you!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, you know me so well father, I personally think that's a load of crap. : ) THEY DON'T HAVE ANY ICE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. like no joking at all.

      love you too.

      Delete
  3. The fun never stops does it! Larry is right about the sleeves Dear! Comedy Central...I'm telling you!!

    ReplyDelete