Thursday, July 5, 2012

"The movie is in Hindi...w/o subtitles..."

So last night we went and saw our first BOLLYWOOD MOVIE!!!!! it was super awesome! There was a small problem though…it was in Hindi…which could have been super awesome except there were no subtitles…so we sat through a movie fully entranced by what was going on but having actually no clue what was being said. The movie was super great through! It was  a story of love, comedy, tragedy, and action! It was pretty awesome. O and half way through there was an intermission…WHAT? There are intermissions in plays, not movies, but there was 5 minutes intermission in the middle of this movie...only in India.



The 4th of July was super awesome!



I wore an American flag like a cape for the entire day! Underneath my cape I was wearing a red, white and blue polo, I felt a little closer to home. We set off super sketchy Indian fireworks that night and had this massive cake! We cut it into tiny pieces so all the kids could have some. Apparently in India it’s like a thing to rub cake in peoples faces…I sad this isn’t a thing in America on the fourth…but nonetheless this is how I ended up



Nikki left yesterday, it was so superbly sad. The kids were crying  she was crying, I was standing around looking awkward because I don’t really do feelings and I definitely don’t do crying. It was a sad affair, but she’s an American, I mean shes from Chicago, I’ll see her again.

I’ve started teaching some English! We play English games, so I’ll sign a certain word or draw a picture and two kids will run up to the board and it’s a competition to see who can write the word fastest and correctly. Well some of this English teaching carried over into the boys hostel where I spend a lot of time in the evenings. I’m tutoring a few of them in English (just learning basic English words) and working with some of the older ones on correct spelling and word usage. So last night Gelo and I were working on spelling all the days of the week correctly, well I looked away for one minute and magically he had all the days written down correctly, which was a real task because just 5 minutes earlier he was riding the struggle bus hard with Wednesday and Tuesday. So I looked at him and told him he was liar and a cheater and we weren’t friends. Well it turns out one of his friends across the room was signing how to spell it to him! I was very angry and he was so apologetic but I told him I didn’t care if he learned how to spell them or not and I refused to help him. But he moved and sat directly in front of me so I would know he wasn’t cheating and he started studying….so I may forgive him…if he can spell the days of the week today, I’ll let you know.


So there’s this little blind boy who’s my absolute favorite in the entire world. He’s approximately 2 ½ feet tall and he has 1 blue eye and one brown eye.  So the problem with this is my feelings of love are not reciprocated…every time I try to speak to him he literally runs away.  Our converstions normally go like this:
Me: “Namaste!”
Him:  Looks at me and sprints aways as fast as his tiny legs will carry him.

one day however it went like this:

Me: “Namaste, tiny baby”
Him: looked at me sketchily, “Namas…” SPRINT AWAY

Like he realized he was speaking to me in the middle of the word then realized it was time to run away….
here’s his pic:

He's so precious! I need him to love me back...

America the Great,

Leigh

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your 4th and the movie (which I had my doubts about)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first looked at the picture (before reading) I thought that something was wrong with the picture or you had broken out. I want you to stop scaring that little boy.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete